As part of my mini CHP project - more on that in a future post when it's a little further advanced - I bought an old petrol-driven generator set on eBay for £51.
It was only the alternator and panel etc I really wanted, but the old genset had a few other things I could use, such as the frame and fuel tank. Everything seemed to be working fine before I started taking it apart.
However, when I stripped the generator off the engine, I discovered that there's no front bearing assembly within the generator. In its original configuration, it plugged directly onto the engine shaft and therefore simply used the crank main bearings for its front support.
|the re-assembled 4.5 hp petrol engine after stripping off the genny - the|
engine's going up for sale on eBay shortly